There are few things I love more than to spend a few hours wandering a bookstore, checking out new arrivals and reading the "suggested books" tags employees write. Think of this page as my suggested books tag - I've collected my current favorite books, e-books, online courses, blogs, and more all on this page. Like any good library, this page is constantly evolving. I hope this page is a useful resource for you, wherever you are on your path.
Amazon links are Affiliate Links. I only recommend products I've personally used and loved! If you choose to purchase any items through these links, I will receive a small commission to help keep the site running. Please also consider supporting your local independent bookstore or the bookstore at local herb stores, garden stores, and conservatories - it helps your community!
Herbal Medicine Reference
I’ve listed books here that I either own or have read (and liked!), as well as websites I refer to often. Some websites require membership to view; I’ve marked these with a ($).
(alphabetized by author’s last name)
- Herbal Healing for Women by Rosemary Gladstar
- Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health by Rosemary Gladstar
- Rosemary Gladstar’s Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner’s Guide: 33 Healing Herbs to Know, Grow, and Use by Rosemary Gladstar
- Herbal Antibotics: Natural Alternatives for Treating Drug-Resistant Bacteria, 2nd Ed. by Stephen Harrod Buhner
- Herbal Antivirals: Natural Remedies for Emerging and Resistant Viral Infections by Stephen Harrod Buhner
- Grow It, Heal It: Natural and Effective Herbal Remedies from Your Garden or Windowsill by Christopher Hobbs and Leslie Gardner – Excellent charts, particularly for quick reference for gardening; provides info on container gardening too. Provides info on “dry tea,” which is the first place I’ve seen it mentioned.
- DIY Bitters: Reviving the Forgotten Flavors; A Guide to Making Your Own Bitters by Guido Masé and Jovial King – Great info on tincturing, even if you don’t want to focus on making bitters!
- Body Into Balance: An Herbal Guide to Holistic Self-Care by Maria Noël Groves
- Plants Have So Much to Give Us, All We Have to Do is Ask: Anishinaabe Botanical Teachings by Mary Siisip Geniusz
- The Book of Herbal Wisdom: Using Plants and Medicines by Matthew Wood – I love reading this book! Wood incorporates spiritual uses of herbs, not just physical, as well as discusses his personal and professional experience. One of my favorite references.
- The Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to New World Medicinal Plants by Matthew Wood
- The Earthwise Herbal: A Complete Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants by Matthew Wood
- The Practice of Traditional Western Herbalism by Matthew Wood
- Chestnut School of Herbal Medicine – search out their sample lessons on the course pages, too – their passionflower monograph is stellar!
- Herbal Academy of New England – plus the previews of their beginner and advanced courses have great info too
- Mountain Rose Herbs
- Thorn & Wonder (from Rebecca at Kings Road Apothecary) – her newsletter is also amazing, and I look forward to reading it (how many email newsletters can you say that about?!)
- Urban Moonshine
- Worts & Cunning
- jim mcdonald’s herbcraft – extensive list of articles written by jim mcdonald and many other herbalists
- Herbarium – ($) – The Herbal Academy’s database of plant monographs, articles related to herbalism/herbs/etc., and mini classes. Monographs are particularly extensive and helpful, including references to scientific studies (if thats your thing!). $45/year.
Here are a few other books and websites that I really love!
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho – One of my favorite books, and a short read. I read it (almost) once a year, and inevitably find something new in the story each time.
- The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg – Really interesting info on making new habits and changing old ones.
- Tiny, Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed – This book is full of heartfelt advice and new life mottoes. I inevitably find some help – and some tears – every time I read this book.
- When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chödrön – I can’t overstate how much I value this book, except to say that I went and bought a second copy when I needed it and couldn’t find my original copy. Any and all of Pema’s books are treasures.
- You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero